It is a known fact that we cannot turn back the hands of time. Aging is inevitable. As you age, your skin loses elasticity (due to depletion of collagen) and wrinkles begin to develop. This is also influenced by sun exposure, dietary habits and even smoking. While we cannot prevent aging, there are aesthetic non-surgical procedures that will help maintain a youthful appearance by temporarily blocking muscle contraction thereby resulting in visible smoothing of wrinkles.
What is Botox?
Botox injections belong to a class drugs known as neurotoxins. Botulinum Toxin A is a highly purified protein that blocks nerve impulses that control muscle movement. Botox only works on dynamic wrinkles which are wrinkles that are caused by contraction of a muscle.
What are the benefits of Botox?
- Treatments require minimal down time or recovery
- This is a non-surgical approach to facial rejuvenation
- Very high patient satisfaction rate
What are the areas commonly treated in aesthetics using Botox?
- Horizontal forehead lines
- Crow’s feet
- Frown lines
- Neck bands
- Dimpling of skin
- Bunny lines
- Excessive sweating
- Vertical marionette lines
What precautions should I take before deciding on Botox?
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment as alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising.
- Avoid anti-inflammatories ideally for a period of two weeks before treatment. Medications and supplementations such as aspirin, ibuprofen (advil, motrin), naproxen (alleve). Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, St. John’s Wort. All these medications thin the blood and increase risk for bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event ie. Wedding, vacation.
What are the side-effects?
- Temporary bruising, tenderness to local injection site, mild headache, swelling. These side effects should resolve within two days or so.
What are the contraindications for Botox treatment?
- If you suffer from:
- Lou Ghergi’s disease (ALS), Myastenia Gravis, Lambert Eaton Disorder, Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson.
Overview of the treatment
The number of botox units to be injected depends on the areas of concern to be treated. After Dr. Medina has discussed your treatment goals with you, she will map out with a white eyeliner the injection sites. The syringes will be drawn out and a small needle will be used to accurately deliver Botox to the muscles in your concern areas. You will be provided with post-treatment instructions. You will begin to notice results about 48 hours post-treatment, keep in mind it will take two weeks to notice full effect of the treatment.
Call Luminous Health & Wellness today at 806-831-8239 to discuss how a Botox® treatment can help you maintain a youthful appearance.