Texas has the eighth highest adult obesity rate (31.9%) in the nation, according to The State of Obesity: Better Policies for a Healthier America released August 2017.
Obesity is associated with some of the leading preventable chronic diseases, including heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
At Luminous Health & Wellness, our goal is to offer patients a supportive pathway to obtain and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our clinic offers Nutrimed, a medically-supervised very low-calorie diet (VLCD) which utilizes a meal replacement product exclusively to meet an individual’s nutritional needs. We focus on both the physical and the behavioral aspects of the weight loss process, to help you lose weight, improve your health, and develop new skills and habits necessary to successfully manage your weight long-term.
The meal replacement product is a medically-formulated, low-calorie, low-carbohydrate meal replacement product with high protein value. There are no additional supplements needed while on this program.
- Weight loss of approximately two to five pounds per week
- Sole use of meal replacement product (high-protein, low-calorie, low-carbohydrate) to induce ketosis
- Required weekly medical monitoring by staff (blood pressure, changes in weight, potential side effects)
- Weekly classes on lifestyle changes and nutrition led by licensed professionals
- Monthly physical exam and labs by Dr. Medina
You must meet the following criteria to qualify for the program:
- 18 years or older
- Body mass index (BMI) of 30 or greater
- Body mass index (BMI) of 27 with co-morbidities
- Screening Phase- consists of a medical exam and clearance (EKG and labs), exercise and nutritional questionnaire. Contraindications for participation: liver or kidney disease, Type 1 diabetes, active ulcers or inflammatory bowel disease, bulimia, psychiatric disorders, pregnant or breastfeeding women, history of gout, patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- Weight Loss Phase – consists of consumption of Nutrimed meal replacements in variety of flavors and textures. During this phase, participants attend weekly group sessions that specifically focus on behavioral changes such as curbing emotional eating and identifying eating triggers.
- Adaption Phase – This phase helps you gradually transition back from meal replacements to grocery meals.
- Maintenance Phase – This phase builds on the weight loss and adaptation phase and the skills introduced during each phase. Once you have graduated from the program, the staff at Luminous Health and Wellness will continue to provide behavioral and nutritional support. Group participants support each other by sharing their strategies for success.
This will depend on the amount of weight to lose and the number of weeks in the program. If interested, please call 806-831-8239. Once enrolled, fees are collected on a weekly basis. There are no hidden fees associated with our weight-loss program. Keep in mind that the cost of meal replacement would replace costs of groceries plus dining-out.
How to join?
- Request an orientation packet from Luminous Health & Wellness which offers a review of our program in greater detail.
- Request a consultation, schedule an appointment at 806-831-8239